Darlingford
Welcome to Darlingford
...... a great place to live
Then & Now
Established in 1899, Darlingford was once home to grades 1-12 school, telephone exchange, post office and a variety of businesses including grocery stores, banks, gas stations, restaurants, several churches, a farm implements dealership, hardware store and lumber yard. Today, a restaurant, church, auto repair and post office remain. The school has been converted into a museum and meeting room.
 
While many businesses are gone, the heart of the community resides in the roughly 250people who make this their home.
 
How the community is run
Darlingford is a Local Urban District (LUD) in the Municipality of Pembina. Detailed information about LUD's is set out in The Municipal Act of Manitoba. As a LUD, Darlingford is over-seen by a committee consisting of;
  • a councillor of the municipality appointed by the municipal council; and
  • not more than three elected members of the local urban district
Committee members are elected for a four-year term and are responsible for;
  • preparing an annual budget for the community and referring it to the Municipal Council
  • ensuring that activities outlined in the budget are carried out
  • dealing with citizen's concerns
  • holding at least one community meetings each year
Your current LUD committee members are;
Bob Luger (chair) 204-246-2232
Cal Funk 204-246-2479
Chad Collins (Municipal Counillor) 204-246-2386
 
Fire, Police and medical contacts
 
In an emergency, dial 911 for fire, police or medical service
R.C.M.P (Manitou Detachment) complaints and emergencies 204-242-2121
Pembina Darlingford Fire Department for non - emergencies
      Darlingford Fire Hall: 204-246-2084
      Fire Chief: Cal Funk  204-823-0476
      Deputy Chief: Tom Hamilton 204-871-0011
 
Darlingford is fortunate to have an excellent Fire Department. Members are trained and equipped to handle fire suppression, motor vehicle extraction and farm accident rescues. The Pembina Darlingford Fire Department is part of a Mutual Aid System which provides help to neighboring fire and rescue services as the need arises.
 
If you have a pet
There are many pets in Darlingford and we all get along when owners take responsibility for the actions of their animals. Our good neighbor policy includes:
  • not letting pets run loose in the community* (see note below)
  • not letting a dog's barking interfere with other people's enjoyment of their peoperty
  • not leaving a pet's feces on sidewalks, roads and private property
We all want Darlingford to continue to be an attractive community and a safe sanitary place for people to walk and for children to play.

Community Resources
We are very fortunate to have many facilities and services in Darlingford. Many of them are run by volunteer committees. If you have an interest in using a facility or in getting to know people by joining an committee, here are some contacts;
 
Children's Playground - fenced green space with child-friendly play equipment
Contact: Stephanie Thiessen 204-823-4202
 
Community Hall - accommodates 250, has a full kitchen, a stage and is accessible
Contact: Jean Clayton 204-246-2138 for bookings
 
Curling / Skating Rink - indoor and outdoor rinks are prepared, weather permitting; curling bonspiel is organized periodically; has a cnateen/kitchen
Contact: Jean Clayton 204-246-2138 for bookings
                Steve Barron 204-825-8510 about the rink
Skating is Tuesday and Thursday 7 - 9pm and Saturday 2 - 9pm
 
Garden Club - volunteer members plant and maintain several flower gardens in the community; the club holds a plant sale and auction in the spring to raise money for their activities
Contact: Judy L'Heureux 204-246-2463
 
Supper Club -  on the 3rd Thursday of the month local people try and get together for a meal at Dunn's Diner at 5:30pm. It's a great chance to visit with neighbors. Drop by and see who's there. Call the Diner a few days in advance to let them know your coming.
 
Darlingford School Heritage Museum
Darlingford Consolidated School provides an important physical connection to early attempts at rural school consolidation in Manitoba. Experimental facilities such as this formed the roots of the process -- substantial buildings established at centralized locations to provide graded classrooms, specialized teaching and an improved curriculum. With its modest classical detailing and simple proportions, the Darlingford school retains its standardized interior layout with a four-classroom plan. Completed in stages, the school began as a one-story two-classroom facility that grew to a two-story structure in 1921, accommodating upper grades on the main floor and primary pupils on the second level. Built in 1910 of brick on a design by Winnipeg architect F. R. Evans, the entrance tower is notably off-centre so that, as the school enrollment grew, another wing would be added on the south side of the building. That never happened at Darlingford. The building features a rare fire escape system off the second floor at the rear.The smaller rural schools consolidated at Darlingford included Lorne School No. 56, Darlington School No. 79, Middleton School No. 404, Calf Mountain School No. 489, Barclay School No. 657, Point Douglas Consolidated School No. 1475, and Rosyth School No. 2030. The school operated continuously until 1984 when, due to low student enrollment, it closed.A commemorative marker elsewhere in Darlingford denotes the site of the building which preceded the present structure, which operated there from 1903 to 1910.The former school building is now home for the Darlingford School Heritage Museum. Open during summer months, tours can be arranged by calling Bob Jordan at 204-822-6882 or Betty Hamilton at 204-246-2307.
 
Darlingford Memorial Park
The Darlingford Memorial park was started in 1920 by several committees and by Ferris Boulton, who drove the first spike by donating the property, close to the school, so that all school children would see and memorize those three words "Lest We Forget" worked in stone in front of the memorial property. The grand opening was held on July 5, 1921 and the dedication of the plaque of names of those who fell and "sleep in Flanders fields" as McCrea so aptly put it. The main speaker for the event was Sir James A.M. Aikins the Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba and the Honourary Colonel of the 90th Winnipeg Rifles.
 
As part of the Annual Service held every year on the first Sunday in July at 11am and Everyone is Welcome. Children present a floral tribute onto two white wooden cross's in commemoration of the sacrifice of the thirty young men who, in two world wars, gave their lives for freedom. Some of the children now participating are in the fourth and fifth generation of their families to do so. 
 
In 1992 the Province of Manitoba designated the Memorial Park as a Provincial Heritage Site. Darlingford community continues its strong support, both financially and with volunteer work to ensure the park is well taken care of.
Contact: Glen Rasmussen 204-246-2275

La Verendrye National Historic Park
The idea of building the LaVerendrye National Historic Park was because LaVerendrye was actually the first Canadian to traverse and explore this part of Manitoba. It was established that they passed within a mile of the present site of Darlingford in 1738. This party of fifty men consisted of soldiers, voyageurs, traders, Canadian trappers, and native Indians, who knew the country well.